Porcelain and Silver
This was originally a lidded temple jar with a celadon glaze, produced for the domestic market in the Jingdezhen kilns. The body of the jar was painted with polychrome designs of birds, animals, fish, flowers and scholarly objects, either locally or in Canton workshops. It was then exported through Canton to England where it was mounted with the present silver band on the rim. It has an Italian inscription, which in English means: ‘Given by the Queen of Naples with thanks to “The Saviour of Europe” the most illustrious Lord Baron Nelson of the Nile, in Palermo the Month of July, 1800 AD’. The English Admiral Nelson who beat Napoleon was glorified throughout Europe. Originally a pair, the other jar is now in the collection of the National Maritime Museum in Greenwich, UK.
Size : 6.5 X9.5cm
top of page
Product Page: Stores Product Widget
bottom of page